As joyful as the holidays can be, they can also be just as equally stressful. You may feel pressure to attend every holiday function or even host a gathering. You may feel pressure to buy and give gifts. Maybe you are worried about money. The holidays can also be hectic. There never seems to be enough time to get things done.
We at Sage Recovery and Wellness Center want to help prepare you for the coming weeks. Below are some tips to help combat holiday stress.
1. Get organized. Make lists or use an appointment book to keep track of tasks to do and events to attend.
2. Set a Budget. Lack of money is one of the biggest causes of stress during the holiday season. This year, set a budget, and don’t spend more than you’ve planned.
3. Take Time for Yourself. Pay attention to your own needs and feelings. Spend a little time by yourself if you can. Meditate, take a relaxing bath or go for a short walk.
4. Squeeze. The fleshy place between your index finger and thumb is called the hoku spot in traditional Chinese medicine. Applying firm pressure there for just 30 seconds can reduce stress and tension in your upper body. So if you start to feel overwhelmed by the holiday chaos, give your hand a squeeze and take a deep breathe.
5. Ask for Help. Don’t forget to seek the guidance of friends, loved ones, or if needed, seek help from a professional.